Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Musings on Being Wired

Musings on Being Wired (and not from caffeine)

On a snow day last winter, I succumbed to the lure of Facebook--Partially, because I'm my high school class secretary; Partially, because I know it has marketing opportunities for my clients; Partially, because I was getting pressure from friends and colleagues. One of my clients used Facebook to promote a performance given by another client. Another client promoted a series of performances to its Facebook network. I was also able to connect fellow classmates and gather information for class notes.

Then, I joined Linked-In. I was able to post my company's profile and my resume, connect with current contacts and reconnect with others.

In both instances, it's been a good tool for making contacts, restablishing contacts, and networking. In both cases, one must be savvy with their status reports. I realise that 96% of my status reports on Facebook involve references to caffeine, the condo pool, tanning, and showtunes.

I'm too exhausted from both to consider other networks. AOL, my occasional client, dropped member profiles for Bebo, yet another networking site. Twitter has become the network-du-jour.

I ask myself: "Why not be old-fashioned and email someone for a coffee date and meet face-to-face ?"

No comments: