Monday, August 6, 2012

RIP Kevin O'Hare


Kevin O'Hare led a dual life. He was a public relations guy by day at Holyoke Hospital. He was a music reporter outside of work. We shared that duality, and I always admired how he could do both with such ease and panache.

When I worked at The Springfield Symphony, Kevin and I discussed our fortunes to live in both worlds. As our careers progressed, and I moved on to start my own PR business, we'd see each other in both settings, and we realised how we'd conquered both worlds.

I knew Kevin had been ill for some time. The public Kevin O'Hare didn't let on. He was a private person, other than for expressing opinions and recommendations on music.

His death was expected, but it shouldn't have been so soon. He had many more press releases and features in  him.

Ray Kelly, his long time friend and colleague at The Republican, painted a portrait of Kevin the best.

http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2012/08/kevin_ohare_music_critic_frien.html#incart_more_entertainment

When I saw the marquee on the Calvin Theatre, saying "Rest in Music"...I had a good cry.

RIP Kevin,

No comments: