Monday, January 16, 2012

Some of my "Best of The Valley" Votes


The Best of The Valley Poll


I always like participating in and reading the results in The Valley Advocate’s “Best of the Valley Poll”. I like having the chance to share my favorite restuatns, stores, people etc. and compare my choices with those of readers throughout the area. I also like the opportunity to sample what others around town feel are the best.


I only have one local client eligible for any of the categories. David Pakman, producer and host of The David Pakman Show is a great choice for Local Radio Personality. But, he’s not quite just that. He’s really more of a multi-platform radio/TV/web show host who happens to be based here in the Valley. He went to high school and college in The Valley. He began his radio program in The Valley. He’s got studios in The Valley. He’s not a drive-time presence, unless you’re listening to his podcasts while you’re driving about. Nonetheless, he’s a guy on 150+ radio and TV stations nationally, on YouTube, and available on his website. www.davidpakman.com.


I’ve got to champion the versatile journalist Scott Coen as “Best Blogger” for his “My Wide World” blog, which profiles interesting people in the area. In the last year or so, Scott has made the transition from TV sportscaster (he still does sports on radio and TV) to “features reporter”. His uncanny ability to showcase an individual doing interesting things via print and broadcast highlights his versatility as a journalist.


Scott did a great profile on my client David Pakman. http://www.masslive.com/mywideworld/index.ssf/2011/04/northamptons_david_pakman_brings_his_local_voice_into_the_national_spotlight.html


He also did a beautiful retrospective on one of my closest friends, WFCR “Morning Edition” anchor Bob Paquette, who died suddenly last year. http://www.masslive.com/mywideworld/index.ssf/2011/06/remembering_wfcrs_bob_paquette_a_trusted_voice_in_the_valley.html


So, please cast your vote for these guys. http://www.valleyadvocate.com/ballot/index.cfm?pid=58


PS. I also voted for restaurants and caffeination venues: Esselon (Hadley), Coco (Easthampton), Eclipse (Northampton) and the late-lamented Green Street Cafe (also Northampton). I recognized Jackson & Connor (Northampton) for menswear, Yes Computers (Northampton) for Mac gear, and The Odyssey Bookshop in South Hadley, because I champion independent booksellers.


No comments: