Monday, January 25, 2010

My January Revamp: Networked

I initially questioned the validity of social media for anything other than...well connecting. This last Fall, I had three clients with projects that might be promoted through Facebook, Linked-In, and Twitter. All told, our marketing via social media was successful and more cost-effective than some other traditional marketing methods.

So, after recommending clients utilize social media for marketing, I’ve spent a good part of January working on Facebook, Linked-In, and, yes, Twitter.

I’m easy to find on the networks.

On Facebook, I’m Mark G. Auerbach. I started using Facebook to bring my Northfield Mount Hermon class together. As Class Secretary, it was a good way to reconnect. Within a couple of months, we had a class group. I also use FB for personal use only, so I’ve gone out of my way to appear only interested in caffeine, lying in the sun, and showtunes.

On Linked In, I’m Mark G. Auerbach. I’m using Linked In to reconnect with colleagues, and make new contacts that can help me maintain and grow the business. Some of the forums are terrific. I find it odd, though, that there's no specific place for a middle initial, so I chuckle when it says "Mark G says this" or "Mark G recommends this"

On Twitter, I’m mgauerbach. I’m too much of a neophyte to evaluate its success and too busy to tweet.

For those exploring social media, I recommend: Marketingbuddy’s Blog: Bringing Social Media Marketing to the average Joe or Jane. http://marketingbuddy.wordpress.com/

Donna Abelli, a Western Massachusetts-based graphic designer and marketing consultant, has started a new blog for marketeers, public relations, and business people, which makes it easy to understand social media from Facebook to Linked-In. Social marketing media plans are essential to doing good business, and they’re here to stay. A little knowledge here goes a long way.

No comments: