Friday, February 13, 2009

Late Night Musings: 2/12/09

Late last night, I was working on newsletter copy for a client, and it was showtune time on the boom box. I was listening to the under-appreciated Marvin Hamlisch/Craig Carnelia score to the 2002 Broadway musical "The Sweet Smell of Success". The musical, a tale of a ruthless newspaper columnist (like Walter Winchell) and an ambitious PR guy, resonates for me--because the movie on which the musical is based was so film-noir. It also resonates because I'm an ambitious PR guy, (although I think the days of the powerhouse columnists are somewhat passe). It's kind of cool to hear Brian D'Arcy James sing a lyric which recaps my job description in a jazzy line: "I can do the five Ws: who, what, when, where, WOW".

Starbucks is introducing an instant coffee, called Via, according to published reports. Does that mean that high-priced, organic, hand-crafted Mountain Dew will soon be available at chic formerly FEMA trailers on every street corner ? I'm the first to admit it. I'm a coffee house snob. For the Seattle Post-Intellegencer report: http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/devouringseattle/archives/161870.asp

Anna Nicole Smith will be the subject of a new opera, scheduled for performances at The Royal Opera in the UK somtime down the road (possibly 2011). What's next on the opera stage ? Here's the USAToday announcement: http://blogs.usatoday.com/ondeadline/2009/02/britains-royal.html

No comments: