Tuesday, December 24, 2019

My 2019 Holiday Letter

I had actually thought about sending holiday cards this year, but the idea of handwriting greetings and signing my name was too much, because the injuries to my left hand have not fully recovered. So, I sent this instead.

Forgive the typed and emailed greetings. I really wanted to do some holiday cards, but frankly, I still can’t write by hand.

Season’s Greetings. This year, as I’ve done previously, I’ve chosen to support several local non-profits who work for the greater good. The funds I could have used for holiday cards, gifts, and more will help the non-profits make life better for others. To me, that’s what the spirit of the season is about. But, I did wantr to get a message out, accompanied by a photo of my favorite place: The Connecticut River at Northfield Mount Hermon from Christmas 2014.
NMH2014.jpg
It’s been a year of major peaks and valleys. Things were on a roll until April 14, when I slipped and fell down a flight of stairs in the condo, broke my right femur and my left (dominant) hand and wrist. After extensive surgery to treat the fractures and subsequent complications—enough to provide plot for a full season of Grey’s Anatomy. I spent 12 weeks in rehab, 2 weeks of being housebound with physical therapy coming to the condo, and after I progressed from wheelchair to walker to cane, to outpatient PT, which continues. My colleagues, friends, and neighbors helped me through the process. I’m now at the 85% recovery level. I still can’t climb stairs, roll over, or write. I believe I will. One more surgery looms in the New Year...that on my hand, so I can hold a pen and write again. To add drama to drama, Marc Newman, one of my best friends died a couple of days after I got home, my 100 year old father died a few days later, and my aunt died later in the year. That generation of Auerbachs are now a memory.

But out of bad times comes good times. My work flourished, handling clients like The Capitol Steos, Berkshire Film and Media Collaborative, The Jazz Ensembles at Mount Holyoke College, and Gaslight Entertainment’s Westfield Concerts series. When 89.5fm/WSKB and Westfield TV WCPC15 built a joint studio, My ArtsBeat program added a TV component. I have continued to provide content for Westfield News, Longmeadow News, and Enfield Press, after their sale to another newspaper group. I became a content contributor to Pioneer Valley Radio, and I write a monthly public relations column for Succeeding in Small Business

I learned how important friends are this year. Yes, I’m appreciative of the support of my clients and colleagues, and the theatres I cover as a reporter. Yes, I’m also grateful to my neighbors and pool pals, who walked me to/from the pool, took me grocery shopping, picked up my mail, and got me to doctor’s appointments. My Northfield Mount Hermon classmates from near and far paid visits on a regular basis. Friends from all over called, texted, and messaged me. Thanks to them! One friend from Berlin, accompanied by our dancer friend Kathy,  paid a visit, and brought New York deli food. My pal Mark Gionfriddo broke away from rehearsals at Berkshire Theatre Group to perform excerpts from Fiddler on The Roof at my dad's funeral. Five friends and colleagues went above and beyond to get me back on my feet. Thank you Rob, Patrick, Chris, Ben, and the late Marc.
I took my health and my life for granted. I’ve been granted a second chance. That’s good come from bad.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy New Year. And, as you wake up New Year’s morning, may the words of Barbara Walters roll through your head. “This is...2020”.

Mark

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dear Mark,
Thank you for sharing the highs and lows of your year. I am so glad you are on the other side of physical trauma. I won't go into our horrors of the year. Our highs were a new and first grand son. A new knee that hasn't worked in 20 years and is amazing now. I still can't drive, but have a husband that doesn't let me down. I followed your journey and am sad for your loss. Your father had a remarkable journey of a life. Enjoy the reminder of Hanukkah, Have a safe and healthy New Year, and I look forward to your making fun of life in your most delightful posts. PS. Is this a story as to why you have fasted from coffee?

Love Paulette

Mark A. said...

Paulette, thanks for the kind words. I had some post-surgical issues, and I hadn't had coffee from the day of my fall until rehab, where it tasted awful. By eliminating caffeine, they lowered my blood pressure levels, anbd weaned me from meds. I still have dewcaf and the occasional espresso, but I've been living on herbal teas for months. You're lucky you've had support. Some very close friends helped me get back on my feet. Best, Mark